Monday, March 21, 2011

first day of spring. yes!

It's seven o'clock on a Monday night and this (photo on the right) is what it looks like outside!  I am really excited about spring at the farm: peas are just coming up, the greenhouse is full of little seedlings, it hails and the sun shines within ten minutes, and I can work later into the afternoon!

 There is a lot of anticipation in spring- little beginnings happening everywhere.

I am also looking forward to Portland drying out a little in the next few days. 30% percent chance of rain means 70% chance of no rain! It's been a wet month. It's already the wettest March in 8 years so says the weather blog Jeff reads. Yikes!







We're staying busy.  We've started more seeds in the greenhouse- rocky top lettuce, peas, asian greens and mustards.  I also set up this fancy indoor system (it was given to me by a friend last season, so I am trying it out) for our nightshades- a variety of peppers and tomatoes. I leave the lights on during the day and turn them off at night.  I've been watering them every two days. So far so good- nothing has happened but it's only been a few days.  I'll keep you all posted on how this system works.

No comments:

Post a Comment