Tuesday, February 22, 2011

february update

It has been brought to my attention that I haven't updated in a few weeks... it isn't that nothing has been happening,but maybe because so much has been happening that I haven't written! Let's see... where to begin? 
It is often good to begin with a plan and I am trying my hardest to start with one: what to grow, where and when to grow it, how long will it be there, how much will be harvested, what do people want, direct seed or start in the greenhouse, succession plantings... and on and on. For anyone who thinks it's just about putting seeds in the ground, it is actually.  But we can make it as complicated as we want and if we are trying to make a business of farming on a small lot it's got to be complicated. I keep telling myself that it's like a puzzle and that I love puzzles! 

With planning comes buying seed which is always fun.  Some fun varieties that I've purchased: Atomic Red Carrot from Baker Creek Seeds,  Bulgarian Carrot Pepper from Territorial Seeds, Freedom Lettuce Mix from Wild Garden Seed, and Turkey Craw Bean form Seed Savers Exchange- which is said that the original seed was found in a wild turkey craw!  amazing. Jeff would not let me pass this seed up.


Jordan, a lovely volunteer, standing by the completely weeded beds!
What else?  I've been extremely fortunate to have great volunteers.  Together we've been weeding (always- the grass has been treacherous) seeding in flats and under the plastic tunnels, digging new beds, doing greenhouse maintenance, and weeding- wait, I said that already, but it deserves to be mentioned twice!



seeds in flats keeping warm in our home

Last week, Jasmine, Eric, Jeff and I began seeding brassicas and onions in flats.  We are keeping the flats in our house until the seedlings emerge and then transferring them to the greenhouse where they can continue to grow.  We are doing this transfer because our greenhouse is unheated and the seeds need no light but more warmth to germinate and once germinated need more light and can tolerate less warmth. As I write today, many seeds have germinated and will be moved.


the greenhouse where all the seedling will soon live.

There is so much more to write! I will write soon about the Food Justice Conference from which I just returned last night.  Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment